TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1804] Reinstalling -- How should I partition?

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Ben Luey wrote:

> Is there any reason not to just have one large partition if you have one
> hard drive? I have a 6.4 gig hd and I'm only using it as a workstation, so
> why shouldn't I have
>
> /hda1  /   6.3gig
> /hda5  swap 100meg (or 64 or whatever)
>
> (I actually don't have it partitioned like this, but I have no idea why I
> did do multi-partitions)

Your swap partition(s) should always be in the first partition, as it is
closest to the center of the disk and has the fastest response.

There is otherwise no reason not to put the rest of the system on one big
partition, IMHO.

Robert Hayden			rhayden@mr.net		UIN: 3937211
IP Network Administrator	MR Net			(612) 230-4416