TCLUG Archive

environment variables

Hi everyone,

It's time for the simple question of the day... (drums roll..a hush falls
over the crowd)

Where can I find a primer on the use and abuse of environment variables? I
understand what they are, but I haven't been able to find an information
about how to display the value of a given variable (e.g., $PATH) or how to
modify it. Specifically, I need to add a directory to my path, but I'm not
sure how to accomplish it.

Thanks for any advice,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your