TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1727] Install linux in Second Drive?

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, David S. Cargo wrote:

> One detail you must what out for is that LILO can only boot from the
> first IDE controller; if your second hard drive is on the second IDE
> channel, LILO won't be able to load it.

<snip>

> David

Are you sure that is the case with recent releases?  On my Red Hat 5.1 box
at home I have Linux on a 1.2 GB Seagate on the second IDE controller and
LILO boots it fine, with a 5.0 GB Western Digital and a CD-ROM controller
on the first IDE controller.  LILO is installed as the bootloader on the
MBR of the first drive, and I have it booting two different Linux
kernels, Windows 98, and Windows NT without any problems.

(Now watch, now that I hear its not supposed to work I'll go home and
it'll stop working :)

Jim Raney