TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:1649] couple of ???

	Cable modems presently don't do uploading at all -- you need a seperate
modem which connects through the phone lines for that.
	MediaOne claims that they're "a few years" from true BroadBand, where the
cable modem handles both the upstream and downstream.  They have the
technology, they just don't have the cabling and hardware installed right
now.
	I don't know about 56K modems (can modems actually send & recieve data
simultaneously?  I forget...), although there would be some advantage to the
surfer to having an asynchronous connection there -- if you're sending data
up and downstream at the same time, you generally want most of your
bandwidth to be downstream -- that Pamela Lee .avi is several million bytes
bigger than your HTTP GET command.