TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1376] X messes up display on exiting.

UserCx@aol.com wrote:

> So X starts up fine and allows me to work with a 640x480x256 display.
>
> When I exit X or switch to a different terminal (<Ctrl-Alt-FX> key
> combination)
> the horizontal and vertical frequencies seem to get halved and I end up
> getting a display that is illegible in a quarter of the screen.
>
> When I run X again in this situation (I just type startx and hit enter) it
> comes up
> fine and I can work but exiting from X or switching the virtual terminal
> screws up
> the display again.

Here are some good sites I found dealing with Linux on
laptops/thinkpads.  I have a thinkpad with the NeoMagic chipset; I opted
for the AccelX server which works great :) but costs $199 :(.  Before I
just used the VGA16 server and a config file that matched my hardware
from one of these sites:

http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html
http://www.wwsi.com/linux-tp.html

--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26