TCLUG Archive

Re: Re: [TCLUG:1345] Turn off my computer?

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Jeffrey R Haskovec wrote:
>
> > You can use hdparm to spin down your harddrives similar to what Win95
> > does, for instance, my hard drives spin down after 30 Minutes of
> > inactivity, this seems to work quite well.
>
> Recent discussion suggests to me that that's a bad idea. Also, it only
> works on IDE drives -- I tried this at home where I have only SCSI disks,
> and 'hdparm' returned the error that it won't work because of the SCSI.

look for the infamous scsi-idle patch on www.linuxhq.com

I used this patch when I got a massive 1GB scsi drive that was really
loud.  since I used it as my "junk" drive, I didn't need it that often and
it saved my sanity by spinning the drive down when not in use.

Of course, since it is a patch you have to recompile your kernel...

--
Tom Cross                     Voice: 320-253-1020    FAX: 320-253-6956
System Administrator                          E-mail: tomc@kendeco.com