TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1298] HP 820 cse printer

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Mark Dunnett wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I have the above mentioned printer, and run Linux Redhat 5.1 on a Dell
> P200. Not thinking clearly when I bought it, it is "Windows" compatible,
> which for almost a year meant only Win 95. HP has finally come out with an
> NT driver for it.
>
> I haven't gotten it to work under Linux at all. I've tried printing ASCII
> directly to the port and I've tried using a driver for a different HP
> deskjet. I have two questions - anybody have any ideas on using this
> printer, and if not, anybody familiar with writing Linux device drivers?
>
> I'm willing to give the programming a shot, but I'm not sure how I would
> determine the specific calls to this printer.

I actually was able to print to one of these from Linux.  However, it had
to be connected to a Win95 machine which had the printer setup as a share.
The linux box printed to that share on the Win95 box and it worked just
fine.

If you want to write a native driver, you would need to a write a driver
for ghostscript for that printer.  Often these printers depend on specific
timing that ghostscript/lpd cannot give and so your project may be doomed
from the start.

--
Tom Cross                     Voice: 320-253-1020    FAX: 320-253-6956
System Administrator                          E-mail: tomc@kendeco.com