TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1201] eth0 deactivated

> I get my IP address via DHCP. I wasn't sure how to request a new IP
> address on the fly so I had to reboot. Instead of reporting that it had
> configured my eth0 interface, the message 'eth0 initialization delayed'
> appeared when I was booting.

Hmm.. does your ethernet card use a kernel module, or is it compiled
in?  It's possible that the module isn't loading correctly..  Also, it's
possible that the configuration on the card got zapped somehow (it
forgot what IRQ/etc to use..)

> I tried going into the RedHat Control Panel and activating the interface
> from there, but it reported that 'eth0 initialization delayed' again.
>
> Any ideas? This machine is currently hooked into the school's existing
> network until my server is configured. I've never had any problems before?
> How do I request a new IP address via DHCP without rebooting?

AFAIK, DHCP is always checking..  That's how my friend's PII-266 managed
to crash his college's network -- the DHCP client daemon kept requesting
an IP for some reason, causing the server to crash pretty quickly..  The
only reason I knew it was doing this was because syslogd was using 90%
of the cpu time..  I checked the logs, and noticed that they were
growing at about the rate of a Meg a minute...

make sure the DHCP server is working correctly..  reboot other computers
that use DHCP, and see if they work..