TCLUG Archive

Upgrade worries.

I donot know if this is a common problem or if I am going
about it the wrong way.

Everytime I need to upgrade some package on a machine
with RedHat I have to upgrade about 10 more packages.

The only way I can seem to do it is to download one see what
it needs and keep doing it recursively until I get them all.

I could always see the pre-reqs on-line make a list and
download it all but that too is kind of like the above.

Is there anyway this can be done automatically ? I would like
to be able to just say upgrade "glib" and every thing that depends
on it and it depends on get downloaded and installed.

I upgraded my libc, gtk and glib yesterday and now I cannot
get gimp to work :(.  I have no option but to get the update to
gimp now, but then I am afraid that I need to get a whole lot
of other stuff.

I guess I could download the source and build it. But then I need
to keep doing it each time I upgrade something it depends on and
that is something that I am not sure I would be happy doing.

BTW is it possible to get "binary" patches to rpms the same way
we can get patches to source ?  Would it be a good idea ?

thanks,
sandipan