TCLUG Archive

UPS with Linux

I have a small APC 500 for my little SOHO server, and though I haven't
really had the chance to test it in a real situation, so far it's been
fine.

I just got the cable from APC. My model came "with" software and the
PowerChute Lite software, but it wasn't in the box...you have to register
the product to get them to send it!!! Annoying. They don't even include
the cable in the box, and from what I understand, it's NOT a standard
serial cable. Anyway, I haven't tried any of the auto-shutdown stuff yet,
but I'm planning on doing it soon. APC doesn't support Linux itself, but
I've heard that there are a number of GNU-licensed packages to run it.

I've also heard that Tripplite (sp?) has better Linux support. I might go
with that, if I were you.

			Neal Tovsen