TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:1089] GNU HURD

Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> I'm going to be making CDs of the GNU HURD 0.2 distribution which is
> available for download from the GNU FTP site. It's 71MB (!) so I figured
> it makes sense to only download it once, and make copies. Anyone who
> wants one should say something soon and I'll get you a CD and make you a
> copy (you can pay me back later...maybe at the install fest?).

I'd like one .. but I won't be back in Minnesota until the end of
November, when I've got a week off for Thanksgiving.

> The distribution consists of a single tarball and a boot image that goes
> on a floppy. Right now it works on i386 computers (good news for most of
> us, I think). Beyond that it doesn't say much about hardware compatibility
> -- we'll just have to find out, I guess. But that's the fun part, right?
> ;)

Can you install it directly off the hard drive ? Would it have to be on
a DOS partition or could I install it off ext2 ? Because I could
download it this afternoon and give it a shot tonight .. dunno.

> >From the HURD Web site:
> '"Hurd" stands for "Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons". And, then, "Hird"
> stands for "Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth".'

Where do they come up with this stuff ? Heh.

--
| Josh Becker                   - aka -                     JellyD |