TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:840] Idiot alert

> Is there any way to kill RC5 and regain control of my console? Help...

OK, I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will work ... but reading up
on LILO (I'm making a guess you use LILO here) there is a parameter "single"
to come up in single-user mode.  I.e., if you use "linux" as the name of
your linux partition, hold down the shift key on boot to get to the LILO>
prompt and enter

LILO> linux single

... uh, I think ... something like that, anyway ...

I also found this passage:

Recent kernels also accept the options  init=<name>  and  noinitrd .  init
specifies the name of the init program to execute. Therefore, if single
mode cannot be entered because init is mis-configured, one may still be
able to reach a shell using init=/bin/sh.  noinitrd  disables automatic
/dev/initrd.

So, that's another LILO boot option to try.

Good Luck!

--
| Forrest Cahoon      | forrest@pconline.com |------------------------------|
| 850 21st Ave SE     |----------------------| Only unbalanced people       |