TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:628] Linux in the StarTribune

I somehow feel that this is a poor choice for my "first post" to the List,
but I just couldn't help but point out that there is one thing sorely
missing from this thread:

Mac OS X (formerly known as Rhapsody, very-formerly known as OpenStep,
very-very-formerly known as NextStep)

Granted, we'll be lucky if Mr. Jobs doesn't send it the way of Copland (and
Newton, and OpenDoc and ...), but I think that, if it proves to be
successful, this represents the definitive answer to the question of UNIX
for the home/end-user.

It has gone unchallenged that UNIX defines power/stability and the Mac OS
defines usability. OS X is both. The people who've used Rhapsody so far are
loving it...and most of them come from a Mac background, so you know it's
idiot-proof. ;-) The Mach kernel has already proven itself. The going claim
is that you never have to use a command-line. According to one of my
NextStep buddies, there were *heated* debates on the Rhapsody development
newsgroups about whether or not to include shell access at all! They will
(YEAH!).

I've been experimenting with Linux for over a year now, and I'm finally
gettin' the hang of things. I love it! However, if OS X becomes a
reality...well, it may steal Linux's "window of opportunity."

Neal Tovsen