TCLUG Archive

Mixing Alphas and x86s

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info at the TCLUG meetings today. Very cool. I learned
a lot.

The question:  Let's say I've got a Alpha Linux server hooked up to a
bunch of x86 machines in a LAN. (I wish I had an Alpha server) Anyway,
let's say that I'd like to serve applications to the Intel boxes from the
Alpha server. How would you compile the programs on the Alpha boxes so
that they would run on the Intel boxes? Would you have to compile them on
one of the Linux boxes and then copy the binaries over to the Alpha? I'm
kind of curious about this.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your