TCLUG Archive

Another Newbie

I am a professional UNIX C/C++/Java developer for over 6 years - but I'm
new to LINUX.  What a breath of fresh air! Once I get settled into LINUX
(dual partition w/ Win95) I am junking my Big-Bill software.

However, I seem to be having two minor problems getting my environment
completely setup.

Problem #1: I  don't know how to use my modem to attatch to my Internet
Provider -- I have a UM account.

Problem #2: I can't seem to get LINUX to talk to my new Lexmark 5800
printer. It recognises the port - but will not print anything in either
plain text or PS.

Does anyone know of a good book (manual) that discusses these setups in
detail so that I can work through these problems. I find it more than a
little iritating that I have to rely on Win95 to connect to the internet
or print something. I want that #!%^ off my hardrive -- but I can't live
without my printer or modem.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using RedHat 4.2 - but I have 5.1 on order.
My printer is on LPT1 with /dev/lp1 configured for lp.
My modem is attatched as COM2 as /dev/cua0 (I believe - I am at another
computer at the moment).

many thanks.