TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:551] ISP's running Linux???

Josh Becker wrote:

 > <snip>
 >
 > Start a list: mine does as well. Desktop Media, based in Albert Lea
 > has run Linux as long as I can remember (of course, I've only used
 > them for two years).
 >
 > <snip>

Just as interesting to me would be a list of ISPs running Linux _and_
supporting the Linux community by providing delegated subdomains.  Not
everyone is equipped to do this, but the overhead for maintenance is
tiny and may even save the ISP some effort because it offloads some of
the administration onto the subdomain administrator.  The only drawback
would be bandwidth if, say, fifty nodes were attaching through that one
connection -- but then, the connection would be mostly useless to the
users at that point anyway.

I am trying to go through MN.ORG for this if they ever get things going
again.  The reason this is specifically a Linux concept is that Linux
is a multi-user OS, so why would you want to have a single e-mail
address on your ISP's server when you could run your own mail server?

Peace,

  Jonathan

--
 /       Jonathan R. Johnson       | "Every word of God is flawless." \
 |    Minnetonka Software, Inc.    |                 -- Proverbs 30:5 |