TCLUG Archive

US West Megabit service

Hi everyone,

I requested some information from U.S. West recently about their Megabit
internet service. I just got an email message telling me that the service
was available in my area so I rang them up. Here's a summary of what I
found.

Megabit service
==============

One-time fees
	setup fee	$110
	U.S. West fee	$25
	modem and NIC	$295
	installation	$85
			-----
	total		$515
			=====

They are running a special right now that provides all of the above for
$110 *if* you sign up for a year of service.

The monthly fees
	256k line	$40/mo.
	U.S. West ISP	$20/mo.

They use dynamic IP assignments. A permanent IP address is an additional
$15/mo.

If you call their number, 1-888-MEGAUSW, they will check to see if your
area has service yet, and they will test your line to see if it supports
the fast connection.

I asked the guy which OSes are supported. He said Win95, NT, or MacOS 7.5
or higher. I asked him if they supported Linux. He didn't know, but
checked with someone else and came back on the line and said it was! (What
he meant by "supported" is still a mystery.)

Service includes 24 hr. tech support and unlimited two-directional
internet access. You can get more info at http://www.megaspeed.com

Does anyone use this service yet? I'd like to hear your comments.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your