TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:429] RADSL

W00t.. sihope.. i work with them sometimes.. internet exposure (i do linux
stuff for them) has a T1 connection through them, and a friend of mine was a
sysadmin-in-training a while back there.. Mike is a cool guy.. i'm not sure why
eric (i think i know who he is.. never met him tho) said they had a lot of
linux.. because last i remember there is only one linux box.. and it's a quake
server :)  they do use BSD/OS and one fBSD box.  but it's almost a 100% unix
shop, (he has one NT box.. but he doesn't like to talk about it :)  he is linux
friendly tho, (compared to some place like US internet) (USi is 100% NT, avoid!)
i love sihope, they are a good bunch.. but you may also want to check out
Vector internet (visi.com)  they will be getting a DS3 sized DSL connection
directly to USwest, they own 1/4 (i think) of the direct out of state
connections (Dual DS3 to chicago)  they are unix friendly.. tho a little more
zealotish about what kind. ("linux is not one of the 'true' unix's")

if my opinion of people upset anyone.. well it's an opinion, flame away :)

On 19-Jun-98 Ry4an Brase wrote:
> I made a lot of calls about RADSL last night, with the end result being
> my signing up for it and with an ISP other than USWest.  Here's the info
> I collected for anyone interested:
>
> ISP                   Static IP  Install$  Monthly$  Server$[1]  DNS$[2]
> MinnNet 338-8863         No        ?-->
> MultiCorp 665-0203       No        ?-->
> US West                  No        ?-->
> Orbis 603-9030             Yes       $89        $29       ??
> $50/yr.
> Sihope 829-9667                  Yes       ??         $30       $25/mo
$10/mo
> Sound Internet 847-6823          Yes       $0         $20       $19/mo    $50
1
> time
>

> I called a lot of others that had dynamic IPs, but just didn't bother
> getting info from them.  I did end up going with SiHope mostly because
> the person I spoke to there (Eric) really knew his stuff, their shop has
> a lot of Linux, and they're just in general very Linux friendly.
>
> Here then will be my total cost for this thing:
>
> One Time:     US West Setup   $110
> One Time:     Domain Hosting  $50
> One Time:     InterNIC        $70 ($35 subsequent years)
> Monthy:               DSL @ 256K      $40
> Monthy:               ISP             $40
>
> Also, a word of warning.  I've heard a lot of ISPs say that their
> customers who signed up and requested an ISP other than US West we're
> "slammed" and signed up anyway by US West.
>
> [1] W/o the server price paid a fire wall blocks incomming connections
> [2] To serve as a primary/secondary Domain host as registered with
> InterNIC
>

> --
> Ry4an Brase - http://acm.cs.umn.edu/~ry4an - 612-623-9946
> 'If you're not a rebel when you're 20 you've got no heart; if
>  you're  not establishment when you're 30 you've got no brain.'

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer