TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:334] FreeBSD experience preferred

Bob Tanner wrote:

> I know tons of places that run FreeBSD as their main web server. So,
> it does not really surprise me. Even though I do not like FreeBSD it
> has proven more stable then Linux under high loads.

I have heard this before, but it seemed to be far more true a few years
ago, when Linux wasn't as mature.  (FreeBSD had been around since '87 or
something, right?)  I think that statements like these are probably
becoming less and less true (I don't mean to put down the FreeBSD guys,
though..  I have no personal experience with the system..), which is to
say that both OSes are probably evening out, though I guess I can't be
sure..

Anyway, this idea just popped into my head -- do you think that FreeBSD
(and perhaps the other *BSDs)  will be mostly seen server-side, while
Linux becomes another common OS (like Windows and MacOS)?  Or would
there be some reason for it to go the other way around?

Well, I gotta get back to homework an' stuff..  Thank goodness that
school will be done soon..

Mike Hicks