TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:265] Newbie boot disk problem

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Bob Nolte wrote:

> When I tried to boot from the floppy, it started OK and began loading stuff.
> Then I got:
>
>     Partition Check:
>         hda: hd1 hd2 <hd5 hd6 hd7>
>     VFS cannot open root device 08:05
>      Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:05
>
> The system still boots fine with LILO on C:

Just a guess, and I'm probably wrong. Is the kernel image on the floppy
looking in the right place for the root filesystem? Perhaps it's looking
on the floppy itself?

> By the way, many thanks to Carl, Christopher, Ben, Hans, and many others who
> responded to my first request for help a couple of weeks ago. Hope to see
> all of you on June 6.

Right-o...see you then.

:)

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerfire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/