TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:213] bash error and fat32

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Randle Boyd wrote:

> PART 2
> After closing everything down, and using the 'shutdown -h now' command,
> I turned off the computer.  Later I came back, logged in as root, and
> got the following message:
>
> 	bash: id: command not found
> 	bash: id: command not found
> 	bash: id: command not found
> 	[:too many arguments
> 	bash: id: command not found
> 	bash: mesg: command not found
> 	[root@localhost /root] #
>
> when I typed 'startx', I got the following message:
> 	bash: startx: command not found

Looks to me like either/or both of your .login and .bashrc files somehow
got wrecked, or at least your PATH setting. For just this kind of reason
you should be doing most of your work in a non-critical normal
user account, not as root.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerfire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/