TCLUG Archive

Local mail delivery agent.

I know there's be some discussion recently about using Netscape
Communicator for email, and I want to skip all that.  I do however, have
a question and I'm interested to know if there's an easy solution I'm
missing.

In brief: I want to use a local move mail program other than Netscape,
but still have netscape recognize modified mail folders.

Currently I've got fetchmail handing my mail off to sendmail which
deposits mail into /var/spool/mail/ry4an.  Netscape picks it up there
and uses its silly filters to put the mail into the appropriate
folders.  Under this system the folders that have gotten new messages
turn boldfaced and I smile.

Rather than having netscape move the mail from /var/spool/mail/ry4an I'd
like to have procmail distribute the mail amongst my folders before it
ever makes it to var/spool/mail/ry4an.  However, whenever I set it up
like this, Netscape doesn't know which folders have received new mail
and they never turn boldfaced and I frown.

I run xbiff and that's nice for letting me know that mail has arrived,
but I'd love to have netscape know/tell me which folders those new
messages ended up in.

As for netscape configuration, I've tried both the internal movemail
(the current configuration which does procmail's job (and poorly)), and
have tried specifying an external move-mail program.  For awhile I had
fetchmail in there, but I don't want to have to have netscape running
for fetchmail to keep polling (and I don't want it polled more than once
every 30 seconds as would happen if both fetchmail-daemon and
fetchmail-netscape we're polling periodically).  I've tried setting the
external mail agent to /bin/true which kept netscape quiet (finally!),
but again the folders won't go bold.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Ry4an Brase - http://acm.cs.umn.edu/~ry4an - 612-623-9946
'If you're not a rebel when you're 20 you've got no heart; if