TCLUG Archive

RE: [TCLUG:179] A Linux newbie needs some advice

Jeez Bob, if you are a newbie I must be some kind of worm!

I thought Ben had a great idea in his presentation last meeting ( I thought
it was his idea although there were many smart people sitting all around
me ).

Go through /bin and with the help of the man pages identify what each file
does.

Everything in Unix is a file; which contains a small script, or a text file
of variables, or a file that acts as a link to another command or alias to a
file, or ( I am sure I forgot what else a file could be but the file can
usually be identified by name, directory details and/or opened up and
understood ).

The MS family installs by splattering hidden unreadable files onto a
harddrive nilly willy, while its processes are controlled by an undocumented
Registry.

Unix on the other hand is neatly laid out with an underlying logic, with
files that are meant to be altered by humans.  This is what it means to say
MS is a closed architecture and Unix is an open architecture.

After /bin directory look at /etc for files that contain and/or control
environment and behavior.  In your case start becoming one with
/etc/inetd.conf .

Remember gui's are for pc weenies!  Keep to the command line.

Some commands to use while seeking enlightenment:

ls -l	directory with details
cd ~		change directory to root / home.
cd ../	change directory up one level
cd ./	and down one level (I get confused here /\)
man <topic>  	help manual <topic>
man man		help help
cat <file> |more	type <file> to screen with dos \p flag
:q			while reading a man page or cat file, quit
:b			while reading a man page go back a screen

ps -ef		what processes e.g. daemons are running
kill			stop the process

updatedb		build a database of all files on computer
locate <file> |more		locate where <file> is with \p flag

alias		why not?

Well this is all about as accurate as a bad reporter so would everyone
please correct my errors and mis-statements here, and add what is missing.

For example a description of what the ls -l output means, such as rwx, hard
and soft links, permissions etc?

How about is the Registry MS's version of initab?

What is it about NT's kernel that does not allow to scale?

Is it important that a newbie understand that UNIX is a four letter word and
vi is an abbreviation?

Peace,
Jeff
Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.