TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:23192] MP3s on Debian

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Andy Zbikowski wrote:
>
> > >From memory nobody has packaged any mp3 encoders for debian. The licensing
> > for these software packages might be too restrictive to even shove them in
> > non-free.
>
> There is a lot of patented technology in mp3 or any of the decent
> perceptual coders.  Much of it is owned jointly by AT&T Research and
> Fraunhofer.  I don't know for sure, but you're probably right about
> licensing issues.

Well it took all of 10 min. to get the BladeEnc source downloaded,
compiled, and installed. No big deal after all.

If there are licensing problems, how do RedHat, Mandrake, and presumably
other distros get around it?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/