TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:23171] netscape java problems?

Timothy Houck wrote:

> Hi, Colin.
>
> I've noticed the same problem.  Netscape does not start up with a Java
> Virtual Machine running.  Once you hit a page with an applet, it will
> start one up.  This usually takes a few seconds.  Then it'll start
> downloading the applet.  If the applet is huge, it will take a little
> while with no status information.  This may appear to be "halted".
>
> Also, the latest JVM that Netscape uses is 1.3.  I just downloaded the SDK
> yesterday.  If your applet is written a certain way, it will consume
> resources and appear as "crashed".  This is the result, for instance, with
> VNC applets on Linux.  They run fine on Win 32-bit platforms.  *shrug*

Netscape has had a number of different problems relating to the JVM.
I've had problems in the past where Netscape immediately dies with a
segmentation fault or bus error when loading a JVM.  The problem there
was that there was another JVM on the machine (in my case, Sun's JDK).
I haven't had problems lately, but that might have been due to a
reinstall or three.

At any rate, I don't like it whenever my web browser tries to take 100%
CPU time just to do some frivolous animation..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Windows isn't CrippleWare