TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:22888] Kernel Source Tree (was: Re: [TCLUG:22862] SCSI emulation)

> > then, tar xvfz linux-2.2.17.tar.gz -C /usr/src
>
> You shouldn't put new kernels in /usr/src/linux. If you do you'll end up
> overwriting the header files which libc was compiled against.

My last kernel compile was done using the recommended procedure from Alan Cox
and Linus himself.  Untar the kernel source into ~/kernel.verison/ and run the
makes from there.  No symlinking, no chance of using the worng headers, just
untar and make.  The quickest, most pain free compile I've ever done.