TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:22867] Athlons and power supplies

> I should have put that in quotes. I guess what I was referring to was the
> overall stability of the voltages, etc. Stuff that distinguishes a cheapo
> power supply from a higher quality one. OTOH, I've never really had the
> occasion to look at it before. Maybe all power supplies do that reasonably
> well. I don't know.

I think all power supplies deliver clean power pretty fairly.  If you've ever
opened one up, you'll see that it's packed with capacitors and regulators and
RF chokes all to make sure that 5 volts is 5 volts, and that it's a clean 5
volts.

I had a problem with my new full tower case, which had more power connectors
than I ever had before, so I loaded them up.  A 300 watt power supply and I
couldn't get my Socket 7 system to boot up with all the extra crap on their.
I did some research on the internet, and figured out how to add a 2nd power
supply to my system.  If you plug in the power supply and short a pin to
ground, it'll start up without a motherboard.  I'm taking a drive connector
from power supply A and connecting it to a relay that when powered shorts
the pin on power supply B.  That way when I power up, A is dedicated to my
motherboard and expansion cards and supply B is dedicated to drives and other
insertable hardware.  600 watts of dedicated power, I'm all for it :-)

-Brian