TCLUG Archive

Battle with Sun

I was reading about Sun's recent take over of Cobalt Networks Inc on
www.techweb.com, and I think there might be storm clouds on the horizon of
the linux front.
The person I am quoting is Mr. McNealy who is the Chairman of Sun
Microsystems.
"I think we'll be the No. 1 Linux company," McNealy (Chairman of Sun) said
at the Gartner Symposium/Itxpo. "Despite what they say, Linux is Unix  and
Sun is the biggest and best Unix company." He goes on to say, " We'll be
number one in Linux by a long shot," he continued. "I'll challenge our Linux
experience against Red Hat Inc.any day."
"Still, suspicion remains that Sun's endgame with Cobalt is to replace the
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. and Linux operating system that run Cobalt boxes
now with UltraSparcs and Solaris"
It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully, Sun won't be like MS
by disallowing competition in the linux market place. The full article is at
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20001017S0013

Chris Opp

winmail.dat