TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18338] openssh upgrade...

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 09:20:10AM -0500, andy@theasis.com wrote:

>Other people have addressed the other points.
>
>> Not to mention debian maintainers put more love into thier packages.
>
>Sorry, but I think that's simply absurd. You have absolutely no basis for
>that statement.  Not all rpms are made by RedHat, or even with RedHat in
>mind (e.g., SuSE).

Again, just an opinion. And on based on my own experience and prefrences.

>People who don't care about rpms just distribute their stuff with as a
>tarball. People who do care about RPMs

True. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from when I used RH as a newbie. I
haven't taken the time to learn about the new improvements. Because I am
extremely happy with Debian. A deficiency? Perhaps, but one I am o.k. with.

>Sorry, I'm not gonna label RHAT as evil just because they want to make
>money promoting linux. And they don't have guys with whips forcing things
>to happen for deadline.

That was more of a joke than anything, sorry if it offended. I just thought it
was funny. I don't think they wield whips, nerf guns maybe ;-)

>I guess OS wars have to continue in any group, and in this group it's
>distribution wars.

Aye, zeal has always run rampant in *nix-land. And is even more aparent in
Linux-land. You kknow the old "Emacs Sucks" "ViM Rules" deal.

All is fair in love and Holy Wars.

--
Ben Lutgens  xAdministrator CS Solutions Inc |WinNT BSOD Security model:
1821 University Ave, St. Paul, Mn	     |"Can't crack it if it's crashed.