TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18344] Debian DHCP and PCMCIA (was Debian)

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Jacqueline Urick wrote:

> Hey you have either of those laptops running dhcpcd? I can't seem so get
> it to work. I can use a static IP just fine, but I'm don't know what I'm
> doing wrong in setting up dhcp. I have it enabled in the
> pcmcia/network.opts, but it doesn't seem to start to even try to find an
> address. Have any advice?

No, but let me make something up. ;)

While I'm not running dhcp, I have seen that the order of the init scripts
is probably not set up ideally for PCMCIA -- I know that it tries to mount
things before the if is up.  I would suspect something along those
lines.  Do you get the SIOADDR*** error on boot?  I believe that's related
-- it tries to find the interface before the cardmgr daemon is up, but
goes back and gets it on a later pass.  Moving dhcp startup to later in
the init might help.

Just a (somewhat) educated guess.

Phil M

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math