TCLUG Archive

firewall question

I've been working on closing up my external connection a bit and I'm seeing
some odd behavior now that it's closed down.  If disallowed any connections to
privilaged ports, except the few services I want people to get at, ssh, www,
etc.  Now if I ssh from any machine that is masquerading through the firewall,
all is good.  However if I ssh from the firewall machine to anywhere outside I
can't get it to connect.  When I turn on logging and look in my messages log I
see that the machine I'm sshing to is trying to connect to the firewall on
ports 1021 or 1022.  Both machines are using ssh1 protocol 1.5.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe