TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18227] Bob Young at the meeting?

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 05:19:15PM -0500, David Wood wrote:

>Ya know, the only distributions where the packaging system was a problem
>were the ones that had what users call real packaging systems. :)

I never said debian had a real packagin system. But the packages are VERY
nicely made and put things where they need to be and provide a pre/post
inst/remove scripts that are or can be very intuitive.

>I like the lack of packaging system.  It gives me the freedom to use a
>program even if it doesnt have some silly RPM package. :)

I use lots of applications that aren't debanized. But if I choose to uninstall
them I had better know what went where.

>(referring to a reply to this message)
>They are, in fact, tarballs in reference to /.  However, if you look close,
>there's also an isntall shell script in those that need it (for building
>links and/or other configurations) as well as basic information.

News to me. I didn't know slascks .tgz's were that "smart"

>I like the non-keen packaging system in slackware because it doesnt say
>"TiMidity conflicts with awesfx" when I try to install stuff.  The programs
>install neatly around each other, and when they dont, I track the problem
>down with installwatch's output files (if you're not using installwatch,
>shame on you) :)

I have never had aconflict like that. Of course I use apt and never install a
package that might conflict.

>Hm.. seems my cross-install is done (lessee deb or redhat do this).  I just
>installed slack7 onto /dev/hda1 while my runtime slack4 system is on
>/dev/hdc1. :) Just run setup, and refer it to the slack7 cd.

No reason you couldn't dual boot an older debian on a different partition than
say woody. Why I don't know. Running slack 4 would be tantamount to runing
hamm. Why? Upgrade man pgrade. lemme see you upgrade every piece of software
on you box with one command with slack or root hack...

or you could run debian. because it's the right thing to do.....

just my .02