TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:18008] Playing MP3s on old hardware

Yaron wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> Ok, since I now have an AUX input in the acr, I figured I'd try loading up
> a laptop with MP3s, just to see if it works. And maybe for really long
> trips. Unfortunetly my laptop's a crappy old P75. I'm not surprised it
> can't handle MP3s under X, but it can't even handle them without X
> running.
>
> Anyone know if there's anything I can do to get an old P75 to play MP3s
> decently? I don't want to reduce the bitrate further. I wouldn't have a
> problem hacking up this laptop (;

Seems to me there was a post long time ago about a person who was
experimenting with the lowest level of hardware for MP3s.  If memory
serves, this person stated that the lowest level found is a P90 with
absolutly nothing else going on.

--
Perry Hoekstra
Consultant

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is
no woman around to hear him... is he still wrong?