TCLUG Archive

creative waste of processing power -- 3D landscape renders

        I've had this idea for a screensaver for a while; but no idea how to
implement it..
        I want a screensaver that will do raytrace renders of 3D landscapes.
not only that; but will save the output file, advance to a new 'viewpoint',
and render again. this will create a series of images that can be combined
into a 'flyby' movie; or, fed into a script that will constantly change your
wallpaper, giving the impression of 'flying', while you're working at your
computer. :)

I'm sure something like it could be done with a reasonably simple perl or
Python script, and Terragen/POV-Ray. I just have very little idea how to go
about it. :)
        any idea how to make the display run full-screen? (like a
screensaver should).

        the script to change one's wallpaper (based on a directory of files)
is probably 10 lines of perl or python... I'm not too worried about that.
good chance to learn perl. :)

anyone familiar enough with landscape generating tools to make
recommendations? Terraform and POV-Ray come to mind; but I've only played
with POV-Ray a little bit, and only seen the screengrabs from Terraform.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091