TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17423] short description of the Internet

Carl:

I know what you mean about it not seeming obvious.  That's why I mentioned
that a good, simple metaphor might feel to yourself like you are lying, ie
not telling the full truth about TCP/IP, or that it doesn't include
everything,
or that it just doesn't seem to fit.

Point is, you're trying to find some metaphor that sparks THEIR interest
and understanding--so that they can correctly conceive that the Internet is
NOT just on their computer.  The minute you try to descibe TCP/IP it
becomes totally incomprehensible--I don't even know if I'd use that term.

Actually, the more I learn the less good I become at doing this.
  ...perhaps you should/could go ask one or two of them that
    are novices but that DO get it what would be a good metaphor :-)

gs