TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:17217] mutt settings

On May 04, 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <carls@agritech.com> wrote:
> >example, assuming sendmail format:
> >set sendmail="/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -oem -fcarls@agritech.com"
>
> the sendmail man page says that the -f<name> is usually reserved for
> priveledged users. i gave it a try, and it allowed me to rewrite my address
> that way; but did give an "X-Authentication-Warning" that it had been
> rewritten. (and I see that yours does as well).

Ooops!  I'd never noticed that before.  Thanks for pointing it out.  Did
Daniel Taylor's "Dm agritech.com" suggestion clear that up?

With exim (which I use on my Debian system at work), you can set up a
list of privileged users that can use the -f option (exim emulates
sendmail).  I use Redhat at home (until I get around to switching to
Debian here), but haven't bothered to tweak the default mail setup.

http://mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html#ss3.5

>         Mutt *really* needs a configuration tool. or at least docs
> (preferably man pages, distributed with every copy); that describe *every*
> option. (the SAMBA docs are a good example of how to write documentation).

Agreed.  The docs seem to be fairly complete, but are a nightmare to
weed through.  They could certainly be a little meatier.  What I know
I've gathered from playing around, and looking through the manual, and
also from hanging out on the Mutt mailing list.

John

--
dusk@ravendusk.org                            http://www.gnome.org
jsheets@codeweavers.com                  http://www.worldforge.org