TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:15379] Computers that save long distance relationships.

Cases: My favorite, reasonably priced case is the Supermicro 760A
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Chassis/sc760A.htm
Wonderful fans everywhere. We cut the bottom part of the bezel off the from and
bought a dual squirrel cage fan from ABC electronics in Minneapolis and mounted
that to the from hooked up to a switch and used some silicon like junk to make
it so it doesnt vibrate against the case. My friend then took 2 hoses and
placed them to the intakes of the monster fan and placed them out the window so
as good old minnesota winter could help cool his overclocked celeron 300A to
past 500. Of course this is too much for your girlfriends case.
I am building some machines for a photographer in town and i got him some nice
colorized translucent cases from www.national-tech.com. They have some very
nice cables and deals on things. The case was inexpensive and wasnt too much
shipping. It is NOT the best quality though.
I personally have a PC Power Cooling Economical case with the turbo cool 300
power supply
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/enclosures/index_enclsrs.htm. Very very
strong case, in case you need to use it for a step ladder or to hold up your
desk.
Locally I only know of general nano systems and i hate them. My company bought
4 PII 300 full machines and 2 of the 4 failed within 3 months of purchase. The
power supplies literally flamed. There were char marks on the case, motherboard
and corner of one of the DIMM's

Microphones: I love Aiwa for all audio equipment. (And so did the guy that
broke into my car and took my Aiwa deck 2 years ago) I beleive they also have
speaker/mic headset combos but you might have to get those from the net, i have
never seen them around at places like best buy or target.

Cams:The Intel create and share cams are nice. They have that convient shutter
on there so you can close the cam when not in use so Back Orifice people cant
turn your cam on and watch ya. I would also get a headset/microphone with an
on/off switch for the same reason. (Paranoid? yes, i used to do this to my
friends in the helpdesk i worked at)

Ethernet: Must have a 3com905Btx ethernet card. Wonderful things. All my
servers use them.

That was way too much information. I just had a dose of caffine this morning,
sorry. Hope something there helped.

Jason J