TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:15107] nfs exports

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 01:10:28PM -0800, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> >	It also causes ReiserFS endless difficulties because it makes
> >assumptions about directories just being normal files who's contests
> >have special meaning to the filesystem.  This isn't the case under
> >ReiserFS, and requires a kludgey patch to allow ReiserFS filesystems to
> >be mounted via NFS.
>         so what's different about reiserfs?

	I don't fully grok it, but have some inkling of what's wrong
here...

	ReiserFS is just one gigantic B-Tree, and directories are leaves
on the B-Tree nodes, so they aren't really files in the standard sense.
I mean, file contents are also leaves, but they're basically 'data'
leaves that have no internal structure.

	Actaully, I have something wrong there.  It was explained to me
once.  I need to go back and see if its in my e-mail.  ReiserFS is
really a fundamentally different FS architecture from what you would
normally expect for a UNIX filesystem.

>> 	NFS is an evil kludge, and should be expunged and replaced with
>> something better.
>
> 	yeah, but it beats the crap out of SMB. :) (for everything that
> I've done, at least...)

	I'm not sure of how SMB works internally, so I can't comment.
:-)

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature