TCLUG Archive

Re: [TCLUG:6148] Linux on laptops

Tim;
   I have a toshiba satellite pro 445 with active matrix screen,
   internal modem, pcmcia ethernet card, sound card, cdrom, etc and i
   recently installed redhat 6 on it. i downloaded the stuff from
   cs.umn.edu and within 2 hours everything was set up and working. It
   has a chips and technology video card (i think most toshibas do)
   and it took 24 bit color right off the bat. one thing i found is
   that you must use 800x600 or you cant get everything to look right
   on the screen. Sound worked the first time i used
   sndconfig. ethernet loaded on boot up. modem was found on
   /dev/ttyS1 in seyon. i used pppsetup to make my connection to the u
   no problems. i was amazed at how easy it was. i shold mention
   though that this was not my first install of linux and that i didnt
   dual boot with windblows (dont need it anymore). the first time i
   installed linux on this machine was dual boot rh 5.1/95 and
   similarly experience very few problems. i do remember not being
   able to get the 24 bit color out of 5.1 only could get 16.