Crossfire Archive

Re: CF: Crossfire playbalance

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 09:55:27AM -0500, Preston F. Crow wrote:
> It sounds like we're pretty much in agreement that the following would make
> a good patch:
>
>  * Remove stat potions from shops
>  * Change stat loss on death to be depletion
>
> Are there any objections, or are we just waiting for the patch now?
>
> As an aside, this would make it much tougher to create custom weapons with
> large stat bonuses, so it would probably make that much more balanced at
> the same time.

Don't you think that removing stat potions from shops is goint to keep
people throwing dice for ever before starting the play?
Try your average Wizard, and see how many quest can be solved without
stat potions. Way too many places are no spells/unholy ground, so wizard
can be deleted, because there is now way he could ever tackle many of
these sites.

To another matter: I don't see the problem with the current system. Too
powerful characters? Aren't these problem only when fighting one-another?
How many servers are such, were players go on killing each other? Not ours
for certain. If Your character becomes too powerful there's always the
easy way out (quit). If there's no challenge anymore start a new character.

On the other hand take pup_land. That's the best constructed place by far.
And levels don't do You much good there. It's detective work. There's still
lot to discover for my character, although I seldomly gain levels anymore
(wizard: agil 58, per 108 (:D talk about a bug), men 31, phys 99, mag 75
and wis 26). I use this char just for sight-seeing.
When I need some challenge I just start a new character.

In conclusion I think that more energy should be diverted to designing
new maps and quests than to rendering the now playable, well tested, system
to a potentially unplayable system by more chages to the dynamics of the game.
Has anyone thought about, for example, porting nethack maps to crossfire.
Or perhapsh angband? (Well they are somewhat random aren't they.)
I think it would be better way to make crossfire playable. Make the world
so vast, that You can wander around days, without bumbing into another
player. If there isn't enough tallent to make new, playable maps, how
about finding ways to port maps from other games there are hurds of?
Just my to cents worth (cent is now part of EU's official currency :D).
--
\begin{stquote}
Is Mr. Kosinski what he seems, a joke?