Re: CF: Fix for Wizard crashes (fwd)

An ugly workaround that seems to work only if the libc's sprintf()
implementation produces "(null)" when printing a null pointer as a
string.  I don't know how faces and animations are supposed to work,
but a real fix is required here.

> +    if(op->type==PLAYER)
> +    {
>       esrv_send_item(op, weapon);
>       new_draw_info(NDI_UNIQUE, 0,op,"Your staff becomes a serpent and leaps to the ground!");
> +    }

Yes, this should fix the problem I noticed.

But there are at least two other problems:

>     remove_ob(weapon);
>     /*    apply_special(op, weapon, AP_UNAPPLY);*/

The apply_special() call is required.  Without it, we get problems like
monsters with FLAG_READY_WEAPON and no weapon.

apply_special() probably needs a new flag AP_FORCE_UNAPPLY that ignores
FLAG_CURSED and FLAG_DAMNED.

>     SET_FLAG(weapon,FLAG_APPLIED); /* so it can take acid damage */

Playing games with FLAG_APPLIED is not fun.  apply_special() does much
more than setting FLAG_APPLIED for weapons.  Even if this works now, it
may break easily.

I think a better solution is to let hit_player_attacktype() damage
unapplied objects in a golem.  If this shouldn't be done for normal
golems (type GOLEM), a new type for animated weapons could be created.

--
Jan