Re: CF: The Archer

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 01:11:14AM +0200, Michael Toennies wrote:
> Hand on your heart: how often you use one of the "slaying xy" arrows in the
> game?
> i NEVER. And i know only one guy who do it. He has problems to make
> levels...

I use normal arrows and bolts to kill Hanuk.  I couldn't think of a
different way to kill him and get the spellbook.

> The real problem is, to arm the right arrow in the right moment in the right
> position.

Arrows allow a non-magical attack from a distance.  Spells are
preferred most of the time because they allow far more powerful
attacks, but they are not always applicable.

> I think about a powerful artifact: the magic bolt/arrow holder.
>
> It gives you unlimited arrows you can shoot. It shoot the arrow you put in!

You don't want unlimited arrows of Blessedness.

> regenerative power. Only the archer must get his arrows back or buy them and
> i tell you,
> you always has no arrows when you face the big one.

There is a create missile spell.  There could be more alchemy recipes
to make enchanted arrows, however.

> That means if you put and arrow of fire, and arrow of slaying dragons and an
> arrow+1 in it, you got and arrow+1 (slaying dragon) (attack: physical, fire,
> cold).

I'd rather see more alchemy recipes for this.  The possibility of making
an arrow (slaying dragon) (attack: fire) to kill electric dragons would
be nice.

> Remember, its not so easy to fire this arrows. you must run in, stand, fire
> in direction... try it in front of  2 red dragons.

You don't stand in front of two red dragons, unless they are either
paralyzed or you are immune to fire.  However, you can move some
squares east, fire an arrow, and move some squares west.  And you can
build directors.  The only real problem with arrows is that fireballs
or snowballs do more damage.  BTW, I think the large snowstorm spell
should be removed and the small and medium snowstorm should be higher
level.  A one-to-one relationship between fire and frost spells
adversely affects fun, IMHO.  (And it would make killing red dragons
with arrows more worhwhile.)

> Skills live "critical hit" or so can added.

Attack: death has been fixed for arrows in the CVS tree.

I'm considering changing the death attack to do some damage even when
you're lower level than the victim (maybe start with up to 10% of
victim's maxhp when attacker is 70% of victim's level, and have a small
chance of doing 100% damage when attacker has twice the level, with a
non-linear distribution of damage shifted towards low damage).  This
should make arrows more useful for killing high level monsters that
were otherwise completely immune to death attacks.

--
Jan