Re: CF: Re: apply() cleanup

> > What we need?
> > The point is, that most of this maps are from the middle 90s. Some of
the
> > guys who played the game yet
> > has no computer at this time because they where to young. And its not
enough
> > to give the some bugs to
> > the coding guys here, the maps need a team who works on them and only on
> > them. and testing them too.
>
>  Agree on that.  The plan was to basically scrap all the maps in a future
> release.  The problem just isn't bug - it is many maps are from before
many new
> (and good) features were added, so they don't use those features.  This
creates
> an inconsistent map set at best.
>

> > Why not set up a team of guys? There are many high level player in the
game
> > which knows the map and
> > the way the get played. And they want bring in some new or better ideas.
So
> > we should use the nice "wizard"
> > system of the MUDs and let them do some work.
>
>  I don't exactly know how you mean mud wizard.  One problem/difference is
that
> at current time, for the most part all crossfire server use the same set
of
> maps, and thus a fix on one server should really get fixed in the master
set and
> all servers.  My understanding of most muds is that the map/environment
for each
> one is different.  crossedit will still be the way to edit maps for a long
time
> to come - to extend the server to modify the original maps would require a
bit
> of code, and probably changes to the client also.

I think that the servers works at this time mainly with the same (standard
package) maps
are quit good. So we have a fix "core set" we can work on. This is what in
muds happens.
They set up a core world and work it out (with experienced player help, that
was what i mean with mud wizard.
A crossfire map wizard is one which work on a core map but is not part of
the code development team).

I think it can work in this way:

We set up a map design team at realtime.com. A list which tells:

Map                          status
map wizard
Lake Country            debug/new parts
Michael Tonnies (mailto:mtx93@

The map czar (nice word) gives maps for debugging or new ideas to person who
are interested and i think thats
are some. All map bugs & new maps goes through his hand. He should had has
access to a server and his maps.

The map wizard is the guy who work on the map. If a player see a bug in a
map set he can tell the map wizard.
So he can work it out. If it is a code problem he can tell it the code team.

Now we can do testing "in real". That means on the server, the "beta" maps
will put in. A simple sign at map
start like "this map is just under work, test it, report ideas and bug and
have fun" will set up at start. Most players
will like to play new ideas also when they are beta (they should playable
beta of course ).

Play maps on and on and perfect the way you master it is part of the game,
so it is perfect for this kind of testing.

I think many players have her own "favorite map" which they know perfect.
They know the weak points and they
can add there own ideas. Thats fit perfect in the open concept of crossfire.

If the map is ok, it goes to CVS and all servers can update.

> > How i understand the game, the maps in the maps-file are part of the
open
> > source. So the develop team should
> > give single persons the permission to work an specific map parts. Then
they
> > got linked to a server and after
> > some testing to the public. Remember, every man who work on the game is
good
> > for the game itself, so
> > you should make it easy to join. If the work is bad, we don't put it in!
>
>  Getting access to the CVS tree is not hard.  I have no problem with one
person
> being a 'map czar' - in fact, that makes life easier on me as then I don't
have
> to process any patches.  There has been nothing in the past to prevent
this,
> other than someone stepping forward and volunteering for this position.
>
>  Generally speaking, I welcome most anyone willing to contribute on
crossfire.

Then i will try to make the map czar, when all say ok.

If all say ok i will ask the people i know.
On PVV and the big servers are some people which are interested. I should be
working.

I have also my own server at 134.102.218.24 and i can use it as map test
server. Maps can
also test on other servers when the sysop will, because there should only
one person/team working
on a map set at one time.

Michael