Re: CF: Unique quests

>From: Scott Wedel <scott@campy.tymnet.com>
>To: crossfire@ifi.uio.no, mwedel@scruznet.com
>Subject: Re: CF: Unique quests
>Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:02:56 -0600 (MDT)
>

>I think a basic problem with unique quests is that it is a bit
>of an oxymoron in a multiplayer game that refreshes it's maps.
>Either the quest maps should have a PERMAQUEST attribute which
>means once they have been played then they are done or they get
>refreshed and people can play them again.
>
>I believe the best way to prevent players from repeating a quest
>is to greatly reduce the reward at the end.  Or to be more specific,
>have very little random treasure at the end of a quest.  Thus, a
>player can repeat a quest with the expectation to acquire what
>they have already acquired.
>
>Thus, instead of acquiring desired artifacts by the random artifact
>treasure square, one has to find the quest with that artifact and
>do that quest.
>
>And personally, I have no problem with the idea that the only
>treasure for a particular quest is a key that opens the front door
>to some other quest.  The game gets too easy as one advances and
>part of that problem is that there is too much frigging treasure
>at the end of quests and in advanced maps in general.  A perfectly
>balanced quest would destroy much of the player's gear and have
>the player thinking it was worth it only if they played it well.
>
>							sdw

Unfortunatly if quests were run once and dont do it again, then we would
have sections of the map being unplayable for high level characters.
EverQuest, (i hate bring them up but they are the most popular multi-player
game right now) has quests and quest items. Moats of the items are do
nothing low level junk that you can get faster by beating up on monsters
such as money and experience. The big thing with them is faction hits. There
are a few worth while items that can only be gotten by doing a quest. All
quests are repeatable but the monsters respawn at different rates. This
unfortunatly causes lines of people waiting for some creature to show up and
people who jump the line and bad feelings all around.

I don't like the idea of unrepeatable quests unless the main item at the end
could be locked behind a door and if you have done the quest before then you
cant open it. the experience from the larger quest areas is some of the best
in the game and taking that away from the high level characters is a severe
hit to them.