Re: CF: one time solving quests

One time solving quests are very difficult to implement in a
multi player game because it just creates an incentive to find
a way to bypass that checkpoint or avoid completely winning the
quest.  Such checkpoints detract from gameplay because there is
no obvious reason why doing something is prohibited for one
character, but not others.

I recall playing some auto demolition game which was pretty fun
as I was building up the car and increasing driver skill.  The
game allowed the player to purchase clones which were basically
a legit way to save the driver in case he got killed.  Then near
the end you got a cargo which would win the game, but as they
handed it to you they said your clone was killed and you cannot
make another again.  Well, I won the game, but there was no way
for me within the game to continue playing (the number of bad guys
increased as the game progressed so it would be a reasonable
challenge to not be ending up with a weaker and weaker vehicle)
and so I quit playing.  Anyway, CF is meant to be an opened ended
game and the ideal playbalance equilibrium would be if the result
of creating a truly powerful char was an even greater challenge of
maintaining the character.

I think the biggest problem regarding repeating quests is that
the finishing rooms of a quest refresh way too quickly.  I think
there should be CF config file which allows specifying the refresh
frequency for any map.  An entry would be a line of the pathname to
the map relative to the top of the maps directory and the desired
refresh delay.  That way it is easy to make treasure rooms refresh
much less often depending on the preferences of the DM.  That way
a DM could also decide that one quest is being done too much and
make the key rooms refresh only rarely.