Question about changing cults, and FreeBSD compile issue

Hi,
After i have fired 200 crossbow bolts at a demon, called dozens
of cult monsters, tried some small snowstorms, and it being STILL
alive, I am really thinking about a change from the Gaea to the
Valriel cult.
But I read you get punished from your former god when changing
cults. How hard is this punishment ?
I don't want to look too much into the source code, think then
the fun would be gone, but a small tip wouldn't be bad :)

Another thing:

When building the crossfire sources (0.95.5), I had to change
the occurrences of 'make' to '$(MAKE)' in the crossedit 'Makefile.in',
otherwise the sources won't build on a FreeBSD box.

Problems with mailing list:

  crossfire@ifi.uio.no

doesn't seems to work.

Best regards,