Re: CF: Needed feature: Server list

Rick Tanner wrote:

> On Sat, 6 May 2000, Michael Toennies wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > One problem we have is, that it is difficult to find a open server (with
> > good connect).
> >
> > Realtime.com have a list, but it is always out of date.
>
> Which servers need to be updated?  Let me know, and I will make the
> changes on the page.

 I will also note that I will update the server list in the README as I get the
information.  But generally, the information is not long in coming.

 I would tend to venture that most people that have public servers have already
made the information public (I would guess/hope that most people running servers
would probably be on the mailing list for assistance and would also get that
information updated)  So I don't think there are dozens of servers out there
that are meant to be public but the admin hasn't gone to the effort of letting
others know about it.

 I would tend to venture (at least in the US/CA) that getting the access to run
servers is getting fairly difficult - getting web & ftp space or even fast one
way access to home is easy, but things like shell accounts at ISP's have pretty
much all disappeared, and most universities are not too enthused about allowing
such things

> > Why you don't set up a "server online" server?
> >
> > It is simple to build.  Perhaps realtime.com will let it run. (they will, i
> > am sure :).
>
> In the followup email to this, Mark Wedel mentions using a perl script.
> (http://archives.real-time.com/rte-crossfire/2000/May/msg00007.html)
>
> Is anyone interested in doing this?

 I think this is something that will be done eventually - it is really a
question of whether it will be done sooner or later.  I'll keep it in mind, but
can't say if it would be ready one month from now or one year from now.

 For that matter, I could set up the TS server on my own system, and others
could link into it - chances are the traffic generated should not cause so much
to have any significant performance impact on my 128 kbs outgoing connection.