Re: [CF:1371] Resurrection

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Peter Mardahl wrote:
>
> > I believe "raise dead" and "resurrection" require corpses of
> > dead players, or headstones or something like that.  I wrote
> > them so long ago that I'm not really clear on it anymore.
> >
> > I think "raise dead" brought someone back with 1 hp, and
> > maybe stat/experience loss, and resurrection did better than
> > that.
>
> So it seems. "raise dead" has a fair casting level, and can be made to
> work. Resurrection clearly needs some modifications. Neither show up in
> stores - is there some flag that needs to be set in order for it to do
> so?

Yes.  Probably someone set "bookchance=0" in include/spellist.h:
set it to 1 for your server and recompile.  Next, change the level of
resurrection and reincarnation to what seems good to you.

The reason for "bookchance=0" was probably so that the commonly-used
"not permadeath" crossfire option wouldn't hve these bizarre useless
spells showing up.  It's not really possible to #ifdef those spells
out of spellist.h without throwing spell numbering off and breaking
a lot of things.

I think someone at some point set the level for those spells so
high so that players couldn't cast resurrection but could cast raise dead:
I think the idea was that "resurrection" could be bought at a temple
only.

> > The "reincarnation" spell didn't require the corpse of the
> > player in order to work.
>
> Neat. Haven't looked at that one.
>
> > So far as I know, no one has worked on the resurrection spells
> > for a very long time, it being a pretty unpopular way to play
> > crossfire.
>
> I guess, AFAIK I am the only one running a server with
> PERM_DEATH/RESURRECTION enabled. However, I think it's a fun way to
> play. You clearly would not take the kind of risks you normally would, but
> on the other hand, dying won't hurt that much as long as you can dig up a
> hi-level wiz. As it is now, however, digging up a lvl 200 wizard is kinda
> hard.

Someone to recover your corpse anyway, too.

PeterM