Re: [CF:1334] Re: Fwd: HTTP transfer problems with langmuir.eecs.berkeley.edu

> > I'm running into the same problem Mani reported (although I didn't
try
> > 28 times (;-)). I now have three partial crossfire .gz files on my
hard
> > drive.
>
> I'm very sorry to hear that.
> I've had no such troubles getting anything from my ADSL account to
> langmuir.

I think I hear Murphy chuckling just around the corner... (;-)

Two attempts last night and three more today all failed. Last night I
could get 1300-1500K, today all I could get was 900K or os. It's as if
the HTTP server is imposing a transfer limit for "anonymous" transfers,
based on load.

> > How much effort would be involved in allowing anonymous FTP access to
> > the /pub/peterm/crossfire/todays_snapshot/ directory?  Assuming the
> > langmuir.eecs.berkeley.edu FTP server supports 'reget', a 'dropped'
FTP
> > transfer would be only a minor inconvenience.
>
> I have FTP disabled completely on most of our machines, for security
> reasons.  http is far more popular than ftp and Apache hasn't suffered
the
> many serious security problems that wu-ftpd has.

Understood. Your systems security _should_ have a priority than
"anonymous" access to... um... software not directly related to education
(;-).

> I've killed and restarted the http processes on langmuir.eecs, though
> I very much doubt that is the problem.

Doesn't seem to be, but thank you for trying.

> Real Soon Now (tm) the maintainer, Mark Wedel, will put a new release
of
> crossfire up on the net at different ftp/http sites than langmuir:  you
> might have better luck fetching from his servers than mine.
>
> If your networking problems persist, you might wait a few days and try
> getting an actual new released version from where Mark would
> locate it.

Think I'll follow that route and leave your poor server alone (;-). I
appreciate your spending time on this.

Frank McKenney

Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887