Re: Re-re-rehashing spellcaster balance, or the thread formerly known as the cone debate

Jeffrey Hantin wrote:

> > > In my opinion, there is sort of a dual problem with mages.  What they
> > > are strong against, they dominate completely; what they are weak
> > > against, they are virtually helpless to deal with.  The problem seems
> > > lie both in spells of mass destruction, and the proliferation of magic
> > > immunity among tough (exp > 50000) monsters.
> > Some people would say that this situation is great.  "Why should
> > magery work in every situation?"  I like to use mages myself, because
> > I think spells are great fun, but my chars are usually pretty facile
> > with the sword after a reshuffling of equipment....
> If that's the case, then why should fighting work in every situation?
> I understand it's considered sort of a lowest common denominator, but
> shouldn't there be as many ac -127 mobs as magic immune ones?  After
> all, almost every character develops wizardry as well as physique.

quite true. the game should be as hard or as easy for all races to advance.
currently there is no point having races since everybody has to learn magic,
physic, wisdom, etc in order to survive in the game. it is quite frustrating
as a low level wizard to solve a quest to the almost end and then find out
there beeing a monster immune to everything you can cast and thus go home
without the treasure. that is ofcource the point where teamplay comes in but
it is not so common in crossfire somehow... I think that the different races
should be divided more. I myself find it quite odd that one of my chars wears
a demonspawn shield, a dragonbane, a full helmet, has a bow readied, a holy
symbol in some hand, a talisman in so other hand. and still he can throw a
large fireball with some free hands... I am not sure how many hands the chars
in crossfire have, but that just seems ridiculous compared to every fantasy
world I have played in or read books about.

--
.w w w. h o i k k a .c o m.
.+ 3 5 8 4 0 7 3 8 0 7 4 7.